John Le Cras
John has more than 30 years experience as a journalist, news editor and senior Marketing and Public Relations Executive. John’s career spans three decades as a senior media executive through to general management roles with responsibility for driving the full suite of disciplines in marketing, market research, brand strategy, media and stakeholder relations, community engagement, internal communications and employee engagement.
- Newspaper reporter 1981-83
- ABC Television and Radio news reporter 1983-86
- Reporter, senior producer and Director of News and Current Affairs, Channel Seven Perth 1987-2000
- Consultant to Seven Network Director of News – 2001
- Group Manager Public Affairs and Member Advocacy, HBF Health Funds Group 2001-2005
- Director, Corporate Communications and Public Relations, Murdoch University 2005-2007
- General Manager, Marketing and Communications HBF 2007-2011
- Director, John Le Cras + Associates 2011-Present
Starting his career as a newspaper reporter, John moved on to work with ABC Television and Radio news as a reporter before spending 14 years with the Seven Network as a reporter, producer and Director of News. As Director of News and Current Affairs for Channel Seven Perth John had editorial and executive responsibility for all news programs and Today Tonight. He has extensive contacts within the media community and after leaving the Seven Network was retained as a consultant and mentor to senior newsroom managers.
John has more than 10 years’ experience as a senior public relations practitioner driving issue management, stakeholder relations programs and employee engagement as well as media relations. John established HBF’s first dedicated Public Affairs unit and, reporting to the Managing Director, was responsible for guiding HBF through one of the most challenging periods in the organisation’s history. This included extensive work in issues management as the Fund dealt with a new regulatory regime, significant reform by Government of the private health insurance sector and lobbying for the retention of the legislative measures critical to the sector’s success. John took a senior role in the sector’s nationwide government relations program including oversight of the national campaign to maintain the 30% health insurance rebate.
As well as coaching and mentoring senior executives in handling media interviews, John has extensive experience as a media spokesperson – fronting the cameras, appearing on live radio or being interviewed by newspaper reporters has been part of John’s working life for more than 20 years. John acted as official spokesperson for the HBF Group appearing numerous times on talk radio, television news and current affairs. So his approach to helping others is based on more than just theory – it is about giving people practical advice and tips they can use to ensure they survive and thrive in the media environment.
John established HBF’s community health programs including writing the strategy and executing the program that saw the creation of brand vehicles like HBF Run for a Reason, the HBF Family Doctor program, HBF Action for Healthy Kids and a broader ranging community sponsorship program.
John was the driving force behind the commissioning and creation of Murdoch University’s award winning Discoverers Welcome brand campaign, which won a number of awards including:
- Winner of the education category of the Australian Institute of Marketing Awards (2008)
- Best University website – Web Marketing Association (2008)
- Winner “Best rebranding” category – WA Business News Branding Survey (2009)
John had executive management responsibility for the re-branding of HBF with a new visual identity (logo) and the creation of the Shine program to drive employee engagement. John commissioned and had management responsibility for the HBF Your health is all that matters campaign that won a string of awards including:
- Oasis 2010 – Campaign of the Year “Your health is all that matters”
- Oasis 2010 – Television campaign of the Year “Your health is all that matters”